About Me

My photo
I spent two summers while in college working as a waitress at a dude ranch in Colorado. The experience was nothing less than incredible. Years later, I have wonderful friends that I still keep in touch with as well as an amazing husband. I still think back to those summers because I learned how hard work really pays off and how much I enjoyed putting together all the food events for the guests. The ranch always hired staff from the South because the owners said they always received compliments on their friendly service from guests...My boss' response was "It's just Southern Hospitality." It was not until I began planning my wedding that I realized how I had missed my calling. I wish I could say I am a successful event planner living my dream, but I am not just yet and hope that collecting my ideas and sharing them will be a start (thanks Molly). Enjoy!

Sunday, June 13, 2010

My First Wedding!

Katie and William were married on May 1st at First United Methodist Church in Decatur, AL.  Katie's bridesmaid dresses were a slate grey from Jenny Yoo and their bouquets had ivory roses and mini green hydrangeas.  The bride's bouquet had ivory roses and white hydrangeas.  Before pictures, all the girls went to Shine Salon (www.shinesalonweb.com) for hair and make-up and of course mimosas! They all looked beautiful and Liz did a wonderful job on Katie's make-up! 



The pew markers and center altar arrangement carried the same theme
Flowers from Simpson's Florist (www.simpsonsfloristonline.com)



You can see more pictures from the photographer- http://dkgreen.zenfolio.com/f13712513

The programs were printed by Decatur Printing (www.decaturprinting.com) and the guest book was from Paper Chase (thepaperchasedecatur.com).

Right after the ceremony, the reception (a short walk from the church) started at Sykes Place on Bank (www.sykesplace.com).  The tables were decorated with different tall and shorter flower arrangements with votive candles and the linens (BBJ Linens) were a slate color to blend with the bridesmaid dresses.  The bistro tables had photo cards from the photographer with pictures of Katie and William from their engagement photo session as well as the bridesmaid bouquets in clear glass vases.  



The entrance had the two cake tables in either window with votive candles and an 8x10 framed picture of the bride and groom from their engagement photo session.  The cakes were delicious and made by The Corner Bakery (www.cornerbakeryonline.com).  




The front table held the guest book, two other photos of the bride and groom, and the altar flower centerpiece from the church.  
*Tip: If you can re-use any flowers from the church without it being a big hassle, it is such a great money saving idea! This same idea goes for any other events that go on during the weekend- bridesmaid luncheon, rehearsal dinner, out-of-town brunch, etc.



The outside patio area tables had arrangements from the bridesmaid luncheon/rehearsal dinner that we were able to re-use.  I was able to use the leftover bubble vases with floating candles for the cake tables and bar area.  The bar also had the wedding favors in an iron basket- koozies that were designed by the bride (http://www.discountfavors.com/custom-koozies.html).

The night would not have been complete without great food and entertainment!  
The caterer was Jackie Grimsley from Casual Gourmet and the band was Group 6 (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=53090173837&ref=ts). 



The photographer will get much better and more pictures of the reception up soon!



Overview of my job:  I was not involved from the beginning so I cannot say I helped with every decision, etc..  The bride had already picked the cater, venue, photographer, and florist.  However, I did consult with bride and mother of groom about many things- especially all the small things that are easily forgotten or not thought of until you start reading wedding books and magazines.  When I was contacted by the bride and mother of the groom, I was asked to keep them on schedule, make sure things get taken care when they need to, and to basically be the coordinator during the wedding weekend.  I also helped find ideas for flower arrangements for the bridesmaid luncheon and rehearsal dinner.  I basically spent all day setting up the reception (with Kristen Bentley's-Simpson's Florist & the Sykes'- Sykes Place on Bank help!) and running over to the church to set-up a few things and make sure things were going smoothly there.  Once the reception began, I had my schedule (the bride approved) that I used to make sure they had their first dance, cut the cake, left the reception all on time, etc.  These duties might not seem like much, but I promise, the bride, mother of the bride, etc. cannot expect to do this themselves.  If one does, I the day will not be what a wedding day is suppose to be!  The relief of stress and Another thing to do is eliminated and everyone enjoys the big day!  So please, say YES to hiring a planner/coordinator soon after the engagement or for just the wedding weekend.  

I cannot tell you how grateful I am for having this opportunity.  I had a great time and can't wait to help with another wedding/event.  

"It's not the plan that is important, it's the planning"
-Graeme Edwards