About Me

My photo
I spent two summers while in college working as a waitress at a dude ranch in Colorado. The experience was nothing less than incredible. Years later, I have wonderful friends that I still keep in touch with as well as an amazing husband. I still think back to those summers because I learned how hard work really pays off and how much I enjoyed putting together all the food events for the guests. The ranch always hired staff from the South because the owners said they always received compliments on their friendly service from guests...My boss' response was "It's just Southern Hospitality." It was not until I began planning my wedding that I realized how I had missed my calling. I wish I could say I am a successful event planner living my dream, but I am not just yet and hope that collecting my ideas and sharing them will be a start (thanks Molly). Enjoy!

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Rolling with the Tide...Wedding Reception at "The Zone"



One of my friends got married at the beginning of August in Tuscaloosa, AL.  Of course I was excited to go because I wanted to see my friend get married, I love weddings, and of course I had to see a wedding reception in The Zone.  For those of you that have not been able to attend an Alabama Football game in The Zone,  this area is very large and packed with large banquet tables of food, popcorn and stadium dog stands, many tables and chairs, and of course people!  The Zone is a great addition to Alabama's stadium and numerous events have been held there since it was constructed.  Needless to say, I had to see how my friend was going to turn this area into something other than a place to watch football.  I took a few pictures to capture flower arrangements and such, but I mainly wanted to show how adding nice gold bamboo chairs, ivory sheen tablecloths, and flowers can really change a venue.  If you ever come across a venue that you are not sure about because of the carpet, accent colors, etc. please do not give up hope! The Zone has red carpet, yes red, and I seriously did not notice it!

She used the bar area that was already provided as well as an additional bar on the other side of the room.  The bars had personalized koozies for everyone to grab and use right then or take with them.  The flower arrangements were assembled differently throughout the room and had a wide variety of bright colored summer flowers- perfect for August.  There were numerous tall arrangements on the main 60 inch round tables which were all towards the center of the room.  These tall arrangements immediately caught my eye as I entered the room.  The tablecloths were an ivory sheen that complimented the colorful flowers.  The food tables had a large arrangement in the center that was gorgeous.  Towards the back of the room there was a potato bar and many small tables.










The reception was a lot of fun. Good food, good friends, good times! The band was awesome and had everyone dancing.  I especially loved the spacious dance floor.  The room was so large that my friends and I had our own little dance party towards the end of the night! Another great aspect was that you could actually have a conversation by just walking ten feet away from the band.  Many venues cannot provide the greatest space for all the tables, chairs, food tables, bar, stage, band, lights, etc. My next tip- Do not be afraid of a large room.  Find the pros instead of the cons. The room will eventually come together, I promise!
There were sparklers for everyone to take by the exit.  The sparklers were in two tall glass vases filled with glass marbles on the gift table.  All the guests lined up by the stadium's entrance and the happy couple ran through our sparklers and left in a limo. Very picturesque!!



“Expect the best, plan for the worst, 
and prepare to be surprised.”
-Denis Waitley