About Me

My photo
I spent two summers while in college working as a waitress at a dude ranch in Colorado. The experience was nothing less than incredible. Years later, I have wonderful friends that I still keep in touch with as well as an amazing husband. I still think back to those summers because I learned how hard work really pays off and how much I enjoyed putting together all the food events for the guests. The ranch always hired staff from the South because the owners said they always received compliments on their friendly service from guests...My boss' response was "It's just Southern Hospitality." It was not until I began planning my wedding that I realized how I had missed my calling. I wish I could say I am a successful event planner living my dream, but I am not just yet and hope that collecting my ideas and sharing them will be a start (thanks Molly). Enjoy!

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Each Begins with the Letter "C"

From the article "Building a strong marriage takes work" by Dr. Billy Graham


My husband and I were thinking back to what we were doing this time last year.  We were packing to move from our rental house to our first home.  We were excited to say the least.  Everything had gone very smoothly with finding our soon-to-be home, getting approved, making an offer, etc.  But our smooth ride came to an abrupt halt.  At the end of this October, we will have been in our house for a year.  Gosh a year, but what a year it has been....from living in hotel after hotel for a month, changing jobs,  fixing up our home, starting a blog, buying a boat, to continuously learning about each other (and our dogs!) and much more.  
My Mom gave me an article a few months back she had saved about building a strong marriage.  After my discussion with my husband about our past year, I felt the need to find this article.  It is short and sweet but says so much... 

How to build a strong marriage in four simple points....Each Begins with the Letter "C"

1. Cherish
God gave you to each other; you are God's gift to your spouse.  Take time to express your love, both by your words and by little acts of thoughtfulness- a surprise gift, a special time away, a favorite dinner.  
2. Communicate
Let each other know what's going on in your life at home or at work.  Don't clam up; don't nag or only express yourself when you're upset.  The Bible says, "A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver" Proverbs 25:11
3. Compromise
The greatest enemy of love is our selfishness, but in marriage you can't always have your own way, so learn to compromise with grace.  The Bible says, "Love does not demand its own way" 1 Corinthians 13:5
4. Christ
Make Christ the center of your lives and your marriage every day, by committing yourself to him and his will.

I am going to add a 5th point to make this my own
5. Caldwell
I have learned that it doesn't matter what type of home you have or where you live to begin your marriage/ life together...It's just being together that makes everything worthwhile.  

Can't wait for what lies ahead! 

“Unless commitment is made, there are only promises and hopes; but no plans.”
-Peter F. Drucker